This Guidance is applicable to Opus 2 Magnum, version 7.8
This walkthrough is to show users how to migrate any Chronology created in the platform version 7.7 or earlier to the new Chronology format. This new format uses our updated timezone and date functionality, which improves the chronology sorting, handling and management experience. You can read more about the change in our release notes here.
It should be noted that there is no requirement to upgrade to the new Chronology but we do suggest it in order to take advantage of the improved data handling available.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Step 1: Exporting Original CSV and preparing for Import
You will need to have access to the Manage Chronology function to undergo this guide - please speak to your System Admin or Workspace Owner if you do not have these tools available to you.
- Open your Chronology.
- Click on the Tools Option.
- Select Export CSV.
- Open the CSV to modify the timezones. (We recommend watching the video above at timestamp 00:28 for this step)
- Timezones are no longer stored in numerical format, instead, you use the City values located here.
- For example, if a value in your CSV is stored as -5 (New York) you would change this to America/New_York, see below:
|Old Timezone Format||New Timezone Format|
Finally, any values which do not have a timezone, on import will take on the default timezone of the new Chronology - so we suggest all fields are populated before import.
Please Note: You will not be able to migrate linked sources which were made using the Annotate functionality - please bear this in mind! You will only be able to link to a source page on import.
Step 2: Creating the New Chronology
- Go to the Chronology Tab.
- Click Manage Chronologies.
- Create New Chronology.
- Set your Chronology Name - and choose your default timezone. This can be changed on an individual basis per entry but will be the fallback value if no value is provided.
Step 3: Overlay the Old onto the New
- Load your New Chronology.
- Click Tools - Import Entries.
- Select the CSV File you just edited above. You may get a warning at this step - this will be if you have any timezones without entries, letting you know they will be updated to match the default timezone that was set.
- Select Import Sources without Linking, as this will be done after.
- Once your entries are created, you can remake any links:
- Click Tools - Click Link Entries to Characters, (if any) &
- Click Tools - Click Link Entries to Sources, (if any).
- Your import is now complete, and you can now continue working using the new format.
If you are concerned about any data loss - please contact Opus 2 ahead of your import and we will create a snapshot of your chronology for you.
Client Success Demo and Training
Our Client Success team is happy to talk through this process, and where necessary guide teams in the migration work that may need to be undertaken. Please contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will get in touch to arrange a follow-up call.